What To Do When Your Home Gets Water Damage

What To Do When Your Home Gets Water Damage

Home / Uncategorized / What To Do When Your Home Gets Water Damage

Mold in your home can be cleaned with water and a mild detergent. Other than this, you should also get gloves, goggles and a mask for yourself before you cleanup the mold. After you clean the area always make sure that it is kept dry otherwise the growth will persist.

In many instances it will be possible for you to handle the mold problem without the need to call in the professionals. Some people advise that if you are dealing with an area more than ten square feet then you should really get expert help. Otherwise so long as you feel confident and you are prepared to take the proper safety precautions then you should be able to deal with the mold yourself.

5) Check areas with water pipes. The sinks in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements are the first place to check. Also look near dishwashers and refrigerators. Toilets often leak so make sure to check those as well.

damage restoration baltimore md

After inspecting your basement repair near me, examine your crawlspace next. Make sure it has enough ventilation and your rising damp protection is not damaged. You will most likely find a plastic or other waterproofing material lying on the ground preventing damp from rising up to your home’s structure. Make sure this material has no holes in them.

If mold should show its ugly self in your home, and it will, unless you live in the desert, you should call a professional who knows how to remove it and treat the area so its return will be stopped or at least slowed for a long time. Your carpet cleaning professional, if diversified, will usually have methods in place for mold remediation. Steam cleaning at temperatures over 200 degrees will destroy it. Steam much hotter than the steam in your bathroom that nourishes it. The PH of the grout can be altered to make it less desirable for growth. There are other trade secrets that really work also.

Toxic black mold is the most injurious fungus found in many homes. These toxic thing can produce hazardous gas known as mycotoxins. Individuals who suffer from asthma and respiratory syndrome are the ones to be more prone to adverse effects. Not only this, but even the healthier people may suffer due to the development of sick building syndrome.

Air testing is an important tool in determination of the extent of the contamination and the type of mold spores present. Air testing should be performed by a certified New Jersey mold testing company. A certified NJ mold testing company will take an air sample from the outdoor air which will act as the control sample. Other air samples will be taken from the indoor air. These air tests will include the areas of concern such as the basement or attic. It is advisable to perform mold testing in each floor of the home in order to fully determine if the mold spore levels are high in other areas.

Once you have control over the moisture getting in and out of your homes structure lets look at problems that can exist inside. Uncontrolled humidity in the home can lead to many different problems. If installing a new heating and cool system check to see if you can add a dehumidifier onto the system. If this is not an option you can purchase a dehumidifier at your local store. Adding a ceiling or exhaust fan to areas in your home, such as bathrooms, kitchens, and basements also helps control the humidity levels.

  • Partner links